Monday, January 27, 2014

"The Age of Documentation."

CJ:
"The Age of Documentation." That's what Tina calls this.

There is something unsettling about the idea that we can be known now and into the future by our presence on the internet.

My facebook is like a fragmented mirror that I can't stop looking at. Same with youtube and bandcamp and even blogger. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a funhouse of distorted mirrors when I am "browsing." (i.e. checking my notifications and analytics.)

But these things are my documentation, the proof that I exist. We started this blog to tell our story- hoping that in the telling we could figure out what the story is.

These web pages that I am known through- kind of- often seem to make me feel real. "Views" and "likes" make me feel relevant. It's like I'm calling out into the great abyss and hearing "comments" echoing back towards me.

But the other night Tina wanted to be outside no matter how cold it was. So I went with her, and Nyla came too. We stood by the frozen river just to get some fresh air, took our time, then ran home. It was cold on my skin and in my lungs.

1 comment:

  1. Yes to this. Yes to the cold, the desire to feel alive. Yes to the documentation, the strange human desire to be noted, counted, relevant. Are they connected? Are they opposites?

    ReplyDelete