Tuesday, April 29, 2014

On Leaving Detroit (WaterHouse Post #100)

This picture embodies our relationship in Detroit
CJ: We have officially left Detroit. This may come as a surprise to some, as a relief to others, maybe even as a disappointment. 

This journey to Detroit has provided me with a sense of identity while transitioning out of college. Now that it's over I find myself getting back to basics. Lets be real: living in Detroit sounds cool, edgy, and artsy. These are all things I like people to think I am. The truth is that Tina and I followed our hearts into Detroit and now we're following our hearts out of Detroit.

Most Detroiters responded to us leaving by saying, "I guess you couldn't handle Detroit." Please let me be clear: it's not because it was too dangerous, its not because it was too cold, its not because there wasn't enough industry. 

I am leaving Detroit because if I stayed I would be staying out of pride. Pride is never the right reason to do anything. Like I said, I want to seem cool, edgy, and artsy. I want to live somewhere that automatically sounds progressive, even if I haven't actually DONE something of worth. That's what Detroit was for me, vindication. Detroit means I am braver than you. Detroit means I am stronger than you. Detroit means I am harder than you. But what have I DONE? What have I accomplished as an artist? 

I love Detroit. I will always remember Detroit. Detroit changed me for the better and for that, I will always be grateful. 

(See tomorrows post for reflections on our move from Tina)

No comments:

Post a Comment