Wednesday, March 5, 2014

On Staying In Touch

CJ:

I am only now learning to appreciate old friendships. For my entire life I have skipped from one stage to the next, allowing friendships to remain or fade without trying. This approach did me well- I found myself always in the present and pleasantly surprised by those who stayed connected with me.

However, I think this approach also fed something selfish in me- something that said if they really appreciate me, they'll make the effort to keep in touch with me. And that's how it has been. My long term friendships have either been thanks to the other making effort and taking care to value the friendship or they have been the type of friendship that needs no maintenance.

Now I am realizing how valuable it is to speak to someone who knows me. I now know the joys of a phone call with an old friend. I am no longer concerned with who contacts who and I am no longer afraid of losing my present presence by spending wistful hours on the telephone.

I love those who have loved me and I hope you know it.

SAMO artwork created by friends Al Diaz and Jean Michelle Basquiat

No comments:

Post a Comment