Friday, February 7, 2014

The Seal Is Broken

CJ: Tina performed at the MOCAD tonight! I couldn't be more proud and excited tonight.

The MOCAD (Museum of Contemporary Art in Detroit) is around the corner from the cafe I work at and is one of the first places Tina and I visited in our attempts to "learn" detroit culture.



There were all kinds of people in attendance, varying ages, varying life stages, genders, and styles.

Tina was asked to fake her death a couple of times during the course of the night, and each "death" was unique.

Maybe it is somehow fitting that her first performance here was a fake death, considering her internal struggles here.

I was so excited to play the supporting role tonight and watch her shake the rust off and move! Tina has a raw gift that is both blaring and subtle, and it is always a joy to watch her work.

After the opening part of the night, in which Tina and a few others performed in various capacities, there was a rap performance. It's always good to see musical performances for me. I consider any opportunity to see someone perform music to be a learning experience.

So then! I suppose Tina has broken the seal with style for us here in the Water House. We have been brewing away and I can feel a spring awakening around the corner... or maybe around a couple (snowy wind-blown) corners.

No comments:

Post a Comment