Saturday, January 25, 2014

Curses and Night Tree


CJ: I'm not a very good photographer, but this is a night tree. Detroit is colder than ever this winter, so I've heard.

Falling snow has become a sign of warmth because it can't snow if its too cold.

A winter like this asks a person to face themselves. To be alone with themselves and their own walls often and for extended periods of time. Even if you live with someone, like I do, you still have to learn to live with yourself.

Nyla brings me outside in spite of it all, which I couldn't be more grateful for. Without her I would never go outside and I'd probably be dwelling on the fact that it feels a little drafty in here sometimes, instead of being grateful for having heat at all.

A city in hibernation, a city with a curse. (This city has a curse, d'you know that?)

It's not a bad thing, but its true, this city is fighting its way through a curse worse than that bambino one, some kinda jinx. I don't know what I could possibly do to help this place, but I think living here is an act of love, walking Nyla out in that cold, and I gotta believe that acts of love are good for cities that got whopping curses.

No comments:

Post a Comment