Thursday, March 27, 2014

God Must Be a Bird


Tina:

I'm learning new things about Detroit.
Today I learned that native Detroiters here have coping mechanisms. Lots of them.
They simply avoid certain gas stations, 'party stores', corner stores, blocks, corners, alleys
They don't seem to stress how dangerous things really are
Instead they go to the same gas station they know is safe
avoid fear

I've purposely gone to places I thought looked dangerous because I'm tough
I've walked the dog at midnight on a Saturday night
I've been inside the liquor store with thick clouded windows
I've stressed myself and scared myself because I'm tough
I've ignored the used condom on my doorstep and his stolen bicycle

Its not that its not bad here, its about avoidance to keep sanity.
People physically cannot live in fear for long periods of time.
They cope. They walk a little bit out of the way or plan ahead

Yesterday I prayed with a drug dealer who lost everything
Sometimes I think God lives in the birds here in Detroit

The small creatures that survive


No comments:

Post a Comment