Sunday, February 23, 2014

Silence Class!

Today was a big day at the Water House! We finally got a chance to do what we wanted to originally do with this space: use it for art/theatre/performance projects.

Today we hosted (and I taught) a workshop on Silence for the Hamtramck Free School. I've taught a version of this class last year in DC for a different Free School.

(A free school is kind of what it sounds like, all classes are free taught for and by the community. In DC they had a class called "Intro to Lockpicking" haha The point is to broaden our experience of education and empower the community to be lifelong teachers and students)

Detroit is starting their own Free School and I'm grateful to be a part of it. Today I taught a class entirely in silence. I tried to facilitate a vulnerable experience that focuses on using the body for expression and meditation. I also learned today, that it is essential to have this class in a group setting because there is something that happens socially which amplifies the vulnerability factor (also amping up the discomfort and the self-discovery). CJ assisted me and I could not have done it without him. Its tough to teach without speaking!

We cleared out the front room in our apartment to hold the workshop. It actually felt amazing to clean all the nooks and crannies and feel like we have a fresh start here again.

Also, yesterday I had a great day volunteering with Brides Against Breast Cancer. I seriously love weddings. I always have. I think I just like happy people. Needless to say, when I found the chance to volunteer at a bridal sale I jumped on it. I spent yesterday helping girls find and try on their dream dresses! Seriously, I had too much fun. I also jumped on the opportunity to model a wedding dress for the Detroit News!?! So I also did that yesterday which was a blast and a half. I'll post the link when I can find it!

Needless to say it was a packed weekend with a lot of growth. (and sun?! THANK YOU weather gods!)


No comments:

Post a Comment