Thursday, January 16, 2014

Manliness- or whatever

CJ: Today, and on many other days, I think about what it means to be a man. I'm surrounded by "men". I remember my older brother pointing me towards a website about being a man, which I never got the chance to learn much from. But I remember that he told me about it, and that he told me about how he thinks about what it means to be a man all the time.

I can't possibly express how many ways my idea of "man" is incongruous with those of the "men" around me. At times I probably seem downright womanish, and I am. In fact, I've worked pretty hard at becoming more womanish, and it's working.

Anyways, I don't think being in a relationship hinders your dreams. I don't think having children is the end of your personal progression in life. I do think that being honest and vulnerable is manly and embarrassing at the same time.

I think the "men" I see are being brittle in an attempt to be strong and unbreakable.

And for sure, I think that being a man means you ask yourself what it means to be a man, instead of allowing yourself to be told.


No comments:

Post a Comment