Thursday, January 23, 2014

Repetition

CJ: I returned an e-mail to my dad today- I've come a long way since college!

It helps to have consistency in my life. Routine can be an artists best friend. There are some ideas in culture that we should just throw in the garbage, says my friend Sam Segal. The idea of the chaotic artist who spontaneously creates a masterpiece is one of those ideas. Useless- anti-useful.

Or maybe thats just my path. To be an example of an artist who likes routine. I heard that danger doom, the masked rapper, has a family in brooklyn. And that he is never the one performing at his shows because he stays home with his kids and just keeps writing rap music.

I have this dream, in which I run, fall, and sink. Three parts. All black and white. The sounds crisp and clear- running over ice, falling of an abrupt edge, plunging into black waters. I think of it as my life cycle: running, falling, sinking. I wonder if maybe the falling stage, exhilerating and passionate, is marked by routine. The idea is strange and surprising to me. As if the greatest rush can be found amongst stability.

I once had a vision of plunging my face through a membrane barrier: the feeling of being head and shoulders ahead and taking off. (It felt like falling). I remember thinking in that moment that repetition would be key to reach falling.

Tina always says that creativity begs for limitation. Together, creativity and limitation find beauty.


No comments:

Post a Comment